Thursday, March 24, 2011

Beyond That Thing of a Doubt

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

I’ve read this book once in my life. I tried to read it a second time last semester, but something stayed my hand. Whenever my mind would wander to it and the possibility of opening its front cover again, a warning bell would toll in my head. I circled the book like a vulture, looping around the dead or wounded prey, using extreme caution to ensure that there is no artifice in the creature’s injury.

I circled, sporadically coming closer, then backing away in hesitation.

Why? Where is this wall coming from and why is it erected around this book? I’ve pondered this question, and I think the solution, the only solution, is to bite the bullet and dive into the pages again. Maybe if I can look at the story once more with newer eyes, I’ll be able to identify the cause of my uncertainty.

Even now, I find it difficult to summarize, define, explain, or describe the plot, the characters, or the style of this novel. You probably tire of the same melodramatic, poetic descriptions I’ve been shoving down your throat about these books that I love (too bad), so maybe something more straightforward would be a nice change.

Daniel Sempere lives with his father in Barcelona, Spain, post the Spanish Civil War. Daniel’s father, thinking to sustain the life of a secret that has been entrusted to his family for centuries, takes Daniel to the Cemetery of Forgotten books. Traditionally, once one has been introduced to this conglomeration of banned literature, that person must choose a book and protect it for life. Daniel picks, or is picked, is chosen, by The Shadow of the Wind, author Julian Carax. Daniel’s life is permanently chained to this book, and the ensuing mystery that untangles will keep you up night after night, snuggled under the covers with a flashlight, hoping and praying that Mom doesn’t see the glow and force you to sleep.    

I should reread it. I think I might be scared of discovering that the story isn’t as breathtaking as I remember.

…but I like how it stands in my memory. I like cherishing it. I don’t want a reality check. I’d rather revere it the way I do than uncover a mediocre truth. That’s what I want.

"A book is a gift you can open again and again." -Garrison Keillor

5 comments:

  1. There's definitely a debate over whether to reread certain books again. I think you captured both sides of the argument well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "circled like a vulture" imagery. So visual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to not reread books...I find that what I love most about the book is not knowing whats going to happen next. Even if I have forgotten the book, once i opened the book again I would relive the entire book by just reading the first page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you're not supposed to judge books by their covers, but this one has some great cover art and I kind of want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that way about The Three Musketeers. Reading it the first time, the romantic aspects stuck the best. Reading it a second time made me remember some of the less moral actions of the musketeers. Finally, my third run has left me with a disapproving notion of d'Artagnan, Atos, Porthos, and Aramis. Still, just remember that the true miracle of a book is that the same person never reads it twice. Let yourself grow and see the same story in a new light.

    ReplyDelete